Monday 28 April 2014

Part XXIX and XXX











XXIX


Returning afterwards
All I could see was a burnt out shoe
here and there
And a wheel from a pram,

Trees holding their branches
Over their heads
Like they were covering their faces
Frozen in terror
At all that they had seen

Buried under the foundations,
Wishing they could leap away
On tramplones.

Birds and geese who wouldn’t
stop for days afterwards
and gates on the locks
that remained permently open
signalling to hurry on pass,

rather than your dead body
which must have laid there dead
for minutes
before I got there

and your ghost which wouldn’t
look me in the face afterwards
like a time traveller gone wrong.

XXX

taking back that moment
perhaps I would have stood still
and listened to your final warning
as I saw that tram spin then crash,

perhaps I would have simply called
the Police and the ambulances
and let them deal with the screams
of the dying and the dead,

and listened to your simple no
which got repeated over and over
as I raced towards the tram,

taking each stride
like I didn’t know what I was doing
rather than your warning
running across the tightrope
of baynets stuck in the flames. 

No comments:

Post a Comment